Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Holiest of Cows

A 12-0 beating probably wasn't the tribute the Yankees wanted to give to Phil Rizzuto the player but it ended up giving YES a chance to give a surprisingly appropriate one to Phil Rizzuto the broadcaster.

I'm a child of the 80s, so what I remember of Phil Rizzuto broadcasts often involved the Yankees getting beaten. Much like Scooter, as the game got more and more lopsided, Michael Kay and Ken Singleton talked less and less about it. Instead they simply reminisced about Rizzuto, and it sort of became a strange sort of baseball wake. Even more impressive, at least in terms of today's media, YES filled the commercial break in the middle of the first with a montage of Rizzuto's highlights as a player. A pretty nice goodbye for a man who had been part of the Yankees for over 50 years.

Anyway, I'll get back to my normal baseball talk for tomorrow, but tonight I'll just encourage you to go over here to read some stories about Scooter and share your own. I especially like the one at the bottom from the Red Sox fan.

No comments: